-   -   Sumproduct usage? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/251766-sumproduct-usage.html)

Destrachan

Sumproduct usage?

My brain's on overload at the moment, so I'm turning to you guys for
help. I need help w/ a formula that will count the number of sales
that someone had based on a certain date...I thought I could use
sumproduct, but I'm beginning to wonder if I was wrong about that.
The relavant columns are D & M.

Col D Col M
12/24/2009 Andy
12/24/2009 Charles
12/24/2009 Andy
12/25/2009 Charles

T. Valko

Sumproduct usage?

You had the right function in mind.

Try something like this...

Use cells to hold the criteria:

A1 = some date
B1 = some name

=SUMPRODUCT(--(D1:D10=A1),--(M1:M10=B1))

If you're using Excel 2007 then you can use the COUNTIFS function:

=COUNTIFS(D1:D10,A1,M1:M10,B1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Destrachan" wrote in message
My brain's on overload at the moment, so I'm turning to you guys for
help. I need help w/ a formula that will count the number of sales
that someone had based on a certain date...I thought I could use
sumproduct, but I'm beginning to wonder if I was wrong about that.
The relavant columns are D & M.

Col D Col M
12/24/2009 Andy
12/24/2009 Charles
12/24/2009 Andy
12/25/2009 Charles

Destrachan

Sumproduct usage?

Excellent, Biff...thank you greatly. :)

On Dec 23, 12:07*pm, "T. Valko" wrote:
[...]

12/25/2009 * * * *Charles- Hide quoted text -

Mike H

Sumproduct usage?

Hi,

For a given date
=SUMPRODUCT((D1:D20=DATE(2009,12,24))*(M1:M20="And y"))

Over a range of dates
=SUMPRODUCT((D1:D20=DATE(2009,12,23))*(D1:D20<=DA TE(2009,12,24))*(M1:M20="Andy"))

In practice I would use cell ref's for the criteria
=SUMPRODUCT((D1:D20=A1)*(M1:M20=A2))

Mike

"Destrachan" wrote:

My brain's on overload at the moment, so I'm turning to you guys for
help. I need help w/ a formula that will count the number of sales
that someone had based on a certain date...I thought I could use
sumproduct, but I'm beginning to wonder if I was wrong about that.
The relavant columns are D & M.

Col D Col M
12/24/2009 Andy
12/24/2009 Charles
12/24/2009 Andy
12/25/2009 Charles

.

T. Valko

Sumproduct usage?

[...]

Ashish Mathur[_2_]

Sumproduct usage?

Hi,

Create a Pivot table. Drag column D to the row area, column M to the column
area and column M (again) to the data area.

Thank you.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com