-   -   File Path (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/250313-file-path.html)

Max2073

File Path

Help Needed.

I had developed a macro that was used by myself, however now the macro needs
to be utilised by others.

The marco opens files, that have been exported from the corporate database.
The files are saved automatically to the users C Drive eg. C:\Documents and
Settings\"username - logged on user"\help.xls

The only difference is the username in the file path.

Is there anyway that I can change the file path to automatically go to the
correct file, without having to create difference macros for each user.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stefi

File Path

VBA function Environ(29) returns the logged in user's name.

--
Regards!
Stefi

€˛Max2073€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Help Needed.

I had developed a macro that was used by myself, however now the macro needs
to be utilised by others.

The marco opens files, that have been exported from the corporate database.
The files are saved automatically to the users C Drive eg. C:\Documents and
Settings\"username - logged on user"\help.xls

The only difference is the username in the file path.

Is there anyway that I can change the file path to automatically go to the
correct file, without having to create difference macros for each user.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chip Pearson

File Path

VBA function Environ(29) returns the logged in user's name.

Perhaps it does on your machine, but that is by no means a valid
assumption for any other machine. On this box, 29 is the processor
level value. Never use a numeric value to get an environment
variable's value. Use the name:

Debug.Print Environ("username")

Note also that there is a difference when getting an environment
variable's value by name or by number. When Environ is used with the
name, as in

Debug.Print Environ("username")

it returns only the value assigned to the variable. When retrieved by
number, as in

Debug.Print Environ(29)

Both the name and the value are returned, separated by an = character.
E.g,

Debug.Print Environ(29)

displays "PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6" rather than just "6".

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP 1998 - 2010
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC