-   -   Stop Excel Changing Format (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/250247-stop-excel-changing-format.html)

Chris762

Stop Excel Changing Format

In Excel I want to just show a date as dd/mm in a cell. Every time I enter
this Excel shows the number in dd/mm/yy format, even when I change the cell
to use the General format. Any idea how I get Excel to show the number as I
want?

David Biddulph[_2_]

Stop Excel Changing Format

Format as dd/mm
--
David Biddulph

"Chris762" wrote in message
In Excel I want to just show a date as dd/mm in a cell. Every time I enter
this Excel shows the number in dd/mm/yy format, even when I change the
cell
to use the General format. Any idea how I get Excel to show the number as
want?

Fred Smith[_4_]

Stop Excel Changing Format

What you want to enter is not a date (to Excel). It's two numbers separated
by a slash. So your choices a

1. Precede your entry with an apostrophe (')
2. Preformat your cells as Text.

Regards,
Fred.

"Chris762" wrote in message
In Excel I want to just show a date as dd/mm in a cell. Every time I enter
this Excel shows the number in dd/mm/yy format, even when I change the
cell
to use the General format. Any idea how I get Excel to show the number as
want?

Gary''s Student

Stop Excel Changing Format

Format cells Number Custom dd/mm
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200909

Rob van Gelder

Stop Excel Changing Format

With General Format, Excel just does what it wants.

In the same list as "General", choose a date format, or a custom format like dd/mm

Cheers,
Rob