-   -   Counting Unique Names (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/248923-counting-unique-names.html)

Karen

Counting Unique Names

I have a list of technician names in the cell range F1:F100. There are many
duplicates of names within these cells. I want to know how many unique names
appear in this range. For example: Let's say that Tom appears 20 times, Joe
50 times, Bill 20 and Sue 10 times. I need to know that only 4 technicians
were involved. What formula would I use for this?
ANY help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you, Karen

Mike H

Counting Unique Names

Karen

For this ARRAY formula to work there must be no blanks in the rrange

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(MATCH(F1:F100,F1:F100,0),MATCH(F 1:F100,F1:F100,0))0,1))

This is an array formula which must be entered by pressing CTRL+Shift+Enter
'and not just Enter. If you do it correctly then Excel will put curly brackets
'around the formula {}. You can't type these yourself. If you edit the formula
'you must enter it again with CTRL+Shift+Enter.

Mike
"Karen" wrote:

I have a list of technician names in the cell range F1:F100. There are many
duplicates of names within these cells. I want to know how many unique names
appear in this range. For example: Let's say that Tom appears 20 times, Joe
50 times, Bill 20 and Sue 10 times. I need to know that only 4 technicians
were involved. What formula would I use for this?
ANY help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you, Karen

Karen

Counting Unique Names