-   -   Adding cells with formulas (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/248083-adding-cells-formulas.html)

Amy

Adding cells with formulas

I'm trying to keep a grain record book in excel and so far it's worked great.
I've noticed however that my totals have been off. I start by multiplying
the bushels sold by the price per bushel to get a price. I do this for all
of my entries and it works fine. I then add all of my prices together to get
a grand total and this is where the problem is.
To get the total I use =SUM (I16:I21) which give me a total of $11,756.52.
The problem is it should be $11,756.53. When I use the same formula to get
the total, but manually type in what the prices should be, the answer comes
out $11,756.53. Why does using cells with formula totals vs cells with
manually typed totals differ? The amounts being added are the same?! Can
someone please explain this?

Jacob Skaria

Adding cells with formulas

--Are these calulated results? (I6:I21)

--Increase decimals for the range I16:I21 and see whether what you see is
actually formatted to display less decimals..

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Amy" wrote:

I'm trying to keep a grain record book in excel and so far it's worked great.
I've noticed however that my totals have been off. I start by multiplying
the bushels sold by the price per bushel to get a price. I do this for all
of my entries and it works fine. I then add all of my prices together to get
a grand total and this is where the problem is.
To get the total I use =SUM (I16:I21) which give me a total of $11,756.52.
The problem is it should be $11,756.53. When I use the same formula to get
the total, but manually type in what the prices should be, the answer comes
out $11,756.53. Why does using cells with formula totals vs cells with
manually typed totals differ? The amounts being added are the same?! Can
someone please explain this?

Tom Hutchins

Adding cells with formulas

Sounds like a rounding issue. The actual value in the cells may be slightly
different (have more decimal places) than what you see. Try putting your
price x number of bushels formula (let's pretend it is =A*B) inside a ROUND
function like this:

=ROUND(A*B,2)

This will round the value to exactly 2 decimal places. Then the SUM function
should give the result you expect.

Hope this helps,

Hutch