-   -   Conditional Formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/245750-conditional-formatting.html)

Steve HKG[_2_]

Conditional Formatting

If cell A3 contains the word "Pipe", then I want cell B3 to be blacked out.
I have been trying to use the Conditional Format tool with the formula

=IF(A3="Pipe","","")

but it does not seem to work. Can anyone advise, how I can get the cell to
turn black when I set the fill for the true condition to be Black.

Many thanks.

Gord Dibben

Conditional Formatting

Select B3 and CFFormula is:

=A3="Pipe"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 13:26:01 -0700, Steve HKG
wrote:

If cell A3 contains the word "Pipe", then I want cell B3 to be blacked out.
I have been trying to use the Conditional Format tool with the formula

=IF(A3="Pipe","","")

but it does not seem to work. Can anyone advise, how I can get the cell to
turn black when I set the fill for the true condition to be Black.

Many thanks.

Max

Conditional Formatting

Select B3, apply CF using Formula Is:
=A3="Pipe"
Format to taste Ok out
voila? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore
"Steve HKG" wrote:
If cell A3 contains the word "Pipe", then I want cell B3 to be blacked out.
I have been trying to use the Conditional Format tool with the formula

=IF(A3="Pipe","","")

but it does not seem to work. Can anyone advise, how I can get the cell to
turn black when I set the fill for the true condition to be Black.

Many thanks.

Steve HKG[_2_]

Conditional Formatting

Hi Max, Thanks!
If I have multiple parameters, i.e. "Pipe","Duct","Tray", how can I join
that together in the IF statement, to be true?
Cheers,
Ando

"Steve HKG" wrote:
If cell A3 contains the word "Pipe", then I want cell B3 to be blacked out.
I have been trying to use the Conditional Format tool with the formula

=IF(A3="Pipe","","")

but it does not seem to work. Can anyone advise, how I can get the cell to
turn black when I set the fill for the true condition to be Black.

Many thanks.

Max

Conditional Formatting

You could use this as the CF formula in B3:
=OR(A3="Pipe",A3="Duct",A3="Tray")
any good? hit the YES below