-   -   Formating Day of the week (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/245746-formating-day-week.html)

Donna

Formating Day of the week

I have a monthly template that I use for scheduling. Once I change the month,
I have the worksheet formulated to change the dates. I then used a lookup
table to add what the day of week is. I want to show the abbreviation instead
of the whole word. I tried adding text(be,"ddd") to the formula but could not
get it to work. Any suggestions.

Thank you!
--
Donna

Mike H

Formating Day of the week

Post the formula you are using and some sample data

"Donna" wrote:

I have a monthly template that I use for scheduling. Once I change the month,
I have the worksheet formulated to change the dates. I then used a lookup
table to add what the day of week is. I want to show the abbreviation instead
of the whole word. I tried adding text(be,"ddd") to the formula but could not
get it to work. Any suggestions.

Thank you!
--
Donna

Ork

Formating Day of the week

Donna,
Hi.
How about =left(text(a1,"dddd"),3)
which would yeield Fri
if a1=today()
3 would be the # of chars to display

I'm sure there are other ways.
Not sure if this is what you wanted either.

"Donna" wrote:

I have a monthly template that I use for scheduling. Once I change the month,
I have the worksheet formulated to change the dates. I then used a lookup
table to add what the day of week is. I want to show the abbreviation instead
of the whole word. I tried adding text(be,"ddd") to the formula but could not
get it to work. Any suggestions.

Thank you!
--
Donna

T. Valko

Formating Day of the week

=left(text(a1,"dddd"),3)

This will do the same thing:

=TEXT(A1,"ddd")

"ddd" = short weekday name format: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun

"dddd" = long weekday name format: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Donna" wrote:

I have a monthly template that I use for scheduling. Once I change the
month,
I have the worksheet formulated to change the dates. I then used a lookup
table to add what the day of week is. I want to show the abbreviation
instead
of the whole word. I tried adding text(be,"ddd") to the formula but could
not
get it to work. Any suggestions.

Thank you!
--
Donna

WallyWallWhackr

Formating Day of the week

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 22:12:50 -0400, "T. Valko"
wrote:

=left(text(a1,"dddd"),3)

This will do the same thing:

=TEXT(A1,"ddd")

"ddd" = short weekday name format: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun

"dddd" = long weekday name format: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.

My handling is similar.

All of my stuff is free to use any, all, or part of as desired.

There are some errors with some local sheet hyperlinks (I missed
those), but the workbook itself is pretty good overall.

Two, actually...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...CT101440991033

or

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...CT101440991033

WallyWallWhackr

Formating Day of the week

wrote:

=left(text(a1,"dddd"),3)

This will do the same thing:

=TEXT(A1,"ddd")

"ddd" = short weekday name format: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun

"dddd" = long weekday name format: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.

My handling is similar.

All of my stuff is free to use any, all, or part of as desired.

There are some errors with some local sheet hyperlinks (I missed
those), but the workbook itself is pretty good overall.

Two, actually...

SNIP!

or

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...CT101440991033

Oooops... one not working... The first... I snipped it... here...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...070531033.aspx