-   -   Extract data from a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/242727-extract-data-cell.html)

SJS

Extract data from a cell

I have a cell that contains two pieces of data separated by a comma (ex:
first name, address). I'd like to extract the data into two cells so that
the first name is in one cell and address is in a second cell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tks,
steve

Eduardo

Extract data from a cell

Hi,
Highlight the column, data, text to columns, delimiter, choose comma, Ok

if this helps please click yes thanks

"sjs" wrote:

I have a cell that contains two pieces of data separated by a comma (ex:
first name, address). I'd like to extract the data into two cells so that
the first name is in one cell and address is in a second cell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tks,
steve

Glenn

Extract data from a cell

sjs wrote:
I have a cell that contains two pieces of data separated by a comma (ex:
first name, address). I'd like to extract the data into two cells so that
the first name is in one cell and address is in a second cell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tks,
steve

You could try Data / Text to Columns.

http://blog.contextures.com/archives...ames-in-excel/

SJS

Extract data from a cell

Perfect!! Thanks Eduardo and Glenn!!

"sjs" wrote:

I have a cell that contains two pieces of data separated by a comma (ex:
first name, address). I'd like to extract the data into two cells so that
the first name is in one cell and address is in a second cell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tks,
steve

Ashish Mathur[_2_]

Extract data from a cell

Hi,

You may also use this

=LEFT(C18,SEARCH(",",C18)-1) for the names; and
=RIGHT(C18,LEN(C18)-SEARCH(",",C18)-1) for the address

The assumption herein is that the names and address are separated by commas
and that there is only one comma in the string

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com