-   -   Autofill cell reference forumula not working (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/241045-autofill-cell-reference-forumula-not-working.html)

James D

Autofill cell reference forumula not working

Hi.

I have a row in which each cell references another cell.

Format looks like this:

U7 =D46
U8 =D115
U9 =D184

Notice that each cell is still referencing column D, but moves up in
sequence by 69
When I highlight and drag (I need to continue this series all the way to
U66), Excel is returning =D49 in cell U10, and =D118 in cel U11...it does not
maintain the series.
Driving me bonkers, what do I need to do to continue the series without
manually entering the formula? Done right, U10 should be =D253, U11 shoudl
be =D322, etc.

--
Thank you all for your help!

Niek Otten

Autofill cell reference forumula not working

=INDIRECT("D"&(ROW()-7)*69+46)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"James D" wrote in message
Hi.

I have a row in which each cell references another cell.

Format looks like this:

U7 =D46
U8 =D115
U9 =D184

Notice that each cell is still referencing column D, but moves up in
sequence by 69
When I highlight and drag (I need to continue this series all the way to
U66), Excel is returning =D49 in cell U10, and =D118 in cel U11...it does
not
maintain the series.
Driving me bonkers, what do I need to do to continue the series without
manually entering the formula? Done right, U10 should be =D253, U11
shoudl
be =D322, etc.

--
Thank you all for your help!

Mike H

Autofill cell reference forumula not working

Hi,

Put this in U7 and drag down

=INDEX(D46:D1000,(ROW(A1)-1)*69+1)

Mike

"James D" wrote:

Hi.

I have a row in which each cell references another cell.

Format looks like this:

U7 =D46
U8 =D115
U9 =D184

Notice that each cell is still referencing column D, but moves up in
sequence by 69
When I highlight and drag (I need to continue this series all the way to
U66), Excel is returning =D49 in cell U10, and =D118 in cel U11...it does not
maintain the series.
Driving me bonkers, what do I need to do to continue the series without
manually entering the formula? Done right, U10 should be =D253, U11 shoudl
be =D322, etc.

--
Thank you all for your help!

T. Valko

Autofill cell reference forumula not working

Try this:

=INDEX(D$46:D$4200,ROWS(U$7:U7)*69-69+1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"James D" wrote in message
[...]

THAT GOT IT!!

Thanks! I've got a total of 30 columns that have similar references...can
you imagine how long it would take to manually do this! You've saved me.
--
Thank you all, very much, for your help!