-   -   Data Validation (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/240392-data-validation.html)

marcia2026

Data Validation

I have a spreadsheet that requires certain abreviations to be placed in one
column. I want to be able to show the user what choices that they have from
a drop-down list (i.e. Alabama - AL) but only put the abreviation in the
actual cell. How do I accomplish this?

T. Valko

Data Validation

There is a sample file here that shows how to do this:

http://contextures.com/excelfiles.html#DataVal

Look for:

DV0004 - Data Validation Change -- Select a Product from the Data Validation
list; an event procedure changes the product name to a product code.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"marcia2026" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that requires certain abreviations to be placed in one
column. I want to be able to show the user what choices that they have
from
a drop-down list (i.e. Alabama - AL) but only put the abreviation in the
actual cell. How do I accomplish this?

Jacob Skaria

Data Validation

You can using an event code...

In the below link

search for the below...There is a sample file as well
DV0005 - Data Validation "Columns" -- Data Validation dropdown displays
product name and ID

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"marcia2026" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that requires certain abreviations to be placed in one
column. I want to be able to show the user what choices that they have from
a drop-down list (i.e. Alabama - AL) but only put the abreviation in the
actual cell. How do I accomplish this?

Gord Dibben

Data Validation

Biff

If you slightly change the URL like so

http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DV0004

That particular item will be top of page.

No need to scroll down "looking for"

Gord

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 12:48:55 -0400, "T. Valko"
wrote:

There is a sample file here that shows how to do this:

http://contextures.com/excelfiles.html#DataVal

Look for:

DV0004 - Data Validation Change -- Select a Product from the Data Validation
list; an event procedure changes the product name to a product code.

T. Valko

Data Validation

Thanks, Gord!

Hopefully I'll remember that for future use and in the meantime, I'll save
that url.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP