-   -   Lookup Help (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/239058-lookup-help.html)

cra88

Lookup Help

I have 2 sheets, the first is a list of 400 model numbers for a specific
customer. The second is a list of all 8000 model numbers in inventory with
location id's. I want to search the list of all model numbers and only
extract the models on the first sheet. The end result needs to be a list of
the models in sheet1 with the location id's from sheet 2. The second issue I
have is sheet 2 will have the same items multiple times because they have
multiple locations. I hope this is making sense to someone.

Thanks

Jason[_14_]

Lookup Help

OK, so you want to lookup the location ID from sheet2 for each of the
model numbers on sheet1. Assuming sheet 2's 8000 rows data is in
A1:B8000, and the model number you want to lookup is in cell D2 use the
following formula, and copy for each model number:

=VLOOKUP(D2,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$8000,2,false)

As for your problem that each model number has multiple location IDs
then you would need to decide which location ID you want to lookup; the
lowest numbered? the first in the list?

Jay
--

cra88 wrote:
I have 2 sheets, the first is a list of 400 model numbers for a specific
customer. The second is a list of all 8000 model numbers in inventory with
location id's. I want to search the list of all model numbers and only
extract the models on the first sheet. The end result needs to be a list of
the models in sheet1 with the location id's from sheet 2. The second issue I
have is sheet 2 will have the same items multiple times because they have
multiple locations. I hope this is making sense to someone.

Thanks

Ashish Mathur[_2_]

Lookup Help

Hi,