-   -   Sum for lines equal to criteria (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/23834-sum-lines-equal-criteria.html)

rfhorn

Sum for lines equal to criteria

I have worksheet listing employees and their classification of DL(Direct
Labor) or IDL(Indirect Labor) and how much they earn. I am trying to sum the
DL and IDL. I tried to use the sumif function but it did not work. What
function should I be using?

Hi
SUMIF should do the job.
Type =SUMIF into the cell and then hit Ctrl+A. This brings up a dialog box.
You'll need to use the optional field at the bottom (Sum Range) to select
the range of values to sum.

--
Andy.

"rfhorn" wrote in message
I have worksheet listing employees and their classification of DL(Direct
Labor) or IDL(Indirect Labor) and how much they earn. I am trying to sum
the
DL and IDL. I tried to use the sumif function but it did not work. What
function should I be using?

JulieD

Hi

From your description SUMIF should work (if you have one criteria) or
SUMPRODUCT if you have more than one criteria at a time ....

if you'ld like to type out 5 lines of your data (the relevant bits) and copy
& paste in the SUMIF function you tried to use, we might be able to assist.

--
Cheers
JulieD
"rfhorn" wrote in message
I have worksheet listing employees and their classification of DL(Direct
Labor) or IDL(Indirect Labor) and how much they earn. I am trying to sum
the
DL and IDL. I tried to use the sumif function but it did not work. What
function should I be using?

rfhorn

Thanks JulieD. That website you told me to check out helped. My formula was
okay except I did not have the quotation signs around the criteria. Where in
the excell help does it tell you to put quoation marks in the formula?

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi

From your description SUMIF should work (if you have one criteria) or

"rfhorn" wrote in message
I have worksheet listing employees and their classification of DL(Direct
Labor) or IDL(Indirect Labor) and how much they earn. I am trying to sum
the
DL and IDL. I tried to use the sumif function but it did not work. What
function should I be using?

rfhorn

COL C COL D COL E

1 PLANT MANAGER IDL 80,000
2 SALES ENGINEER IDL 75,000
3 MSW CONT DL 53,000
4 TURBINE OP DL 55,000
5 TURBINE OP DL 55,000
6 MAINTENANCE IDL 50,000
7 ETC

TOTALS
DIRECT LABOR DL SUMIF(D1:D7,DL,E1:E7)
INDIRECT LABOR IDL

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi

From your description SUMIF should work (if you have one criteria) or

"rfhorn" wrote in message
I have worksheet listing employees and their classification of DL(Direct
Labor) or IDL(Indirect Labor) and how much they earn. I am trying to sum
the
DL and IDL. I tried to use the sumif function but it did not work. What
function should I be using?

JulieD

Hi

from help for SUMIF
-------
Syntax

SUMIF(range,criteria,sum_range)

Range is the range of cells you want evaluated.

Criteria is the criteria in the form of a number, expression, or text
that defines which cells will be added. For example, criteria can be
expressed as 32, "32", "32", "apples".

--------------
--
Cheers
JulieD
"rfhorn" wrote in message
Thanks JulieD. That website you told me to check out helped. My formula
was
okay except I did not have the quotation signs around the criteria. Where
in
the excell help does it tell you to put quoation marks in the formula?

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi

From your description SUMIF should work (if you have one criteria) or