-   -   Spliting dimensions down (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/237412-spliting-dimensions-down.html)

PSM[_17_]

Spliting dimensions down

I have a lot of carton dimensions that are always presented in the same
manner and would like to be able to split the individual dimensions
into seperate columns.
The format is always: Length Width Height
Presentation of data is always ???x???x??? or ??x??x??? (ie two or
three chrs seperated by the letter X)
If the full string is stored in column A I would like B to display
Length, C the Width and D the Height.
I find it easy to use LEFT for Length but struggling with Width and
Height which I'm sure are easy, just can't get my head around it.

Thanks
Phil

--
PSM

Ron Rosenfeld

Spliting dimensions down

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:36:19 +0100, PSM
wrote:

I have a lot of carton dimensions that are always presented in the same
manner and would like to be able to split the individual dimensions
into seperate columns.
The format is always: Length Width Height
Presentation of data is always ???x???x??? or ??x??x??? (ie two or
three chrs seperated by the letter X)
If the full string is stored in column A I would like B to display
Length, C the Width and D the Height.
I find it easy to use LEFT for Length but struggling with Width and
Height which I'm sure are easy, just can't get my head around it.

Thanks
Phil

You can do it with formulas if you want:

B1: =LEFT(A1,FIND("x",A1)-1)

C1:
=MID(A1,FIND("x",A1)+1,FIND(CHAR(1),
SUBSTITUTE(A1,"x",CHAR(1),2))-FIND("x",A1)-1)

D1:
=MID(A1,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A1,"x",CHAR(1),2)) +1,99)

However, it might be easier to first copy your original data to column B; and
then select
Data/Text-to-Columns
Delimited
Next