-   -   Can't unshare workbook (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/236294-cant-unshare-workbook.html)

Mr. m0le[_2_]

Can't unshare workbook

I have a workbook with two marcos in it. I set it to share as it was going
to be passed around untill i realized that you can't import txt files into
the workbook while it's shared. I tried to go into tools, protection,
unshare and it changes the option in the menu to show share & protect but the
workbook itself is stuck on share in the title bar and i still can't import
txt files or anything. I've tried to save it this way and reload and other
such combinations without luck. Is there a way i can get this workbook
unshared completely so i can import txt files into it again?

Mr. m0le[_2_]

Can't unshare workbook

Update: I came up with something that worked.... I copied each individual
sheet out of the workbook into a new workbook and the shareing and protection
was removed and i can import txt files and such again. Sry for any
inconvience i may have caused anyone if you where tryin to help me out with
this problem.

"Mr. m0le" wrote:

I have a workbook with two marcos in it. I set it to share as it was going
to be passed around untill i realized that you can't import txt files into
the workbook while it's shared. I tried to go into tools, protection,
unshare and it changes the option in the menu to show share & protect but the
workbook itself is stuck on share in the title bar and i still can't import
txt files or anything. I've tried to save it this way and reload and other
such combinations without luck. Is there a way i can get this workbook
unshared completely so i can import txt files into it again?

Gord Dibben

Can't unshare workbook

First remove protection by going to ToolsProtectionUnProtect.

Now go to ToolsShare Workbook and unshare it there.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 13:17:02 -0700, Mr. m0le
wrote:

I have a workbook with two marcos in it. I set it to share as it was going
to be passed around untill i realized that you can't import txt files into
the workbook while it's shared. I tried to go into tools, protection,
unshare and it changes the option in the menu to show share & protect but the
workbook itself is stuck on share in the title bar and i still can't import
txt files or anything. I've tried to save it this way and reload and other
such combinations without luck. Is there a way i can get this workbook
unshared completely so i can import txt files into it again?

Mr. m0le[_2_]

Can't unshare workbook

Gord,
thx for the reply but if you read the original post I stated i tried that
without luck. I did get something to work though. I copied each sheet into
a new workbook and that fixed it.

wrote:

I have a workbook with two marcos in it. I set it to share as it was going
to be passed around untill i realized that you can't import txt files into
the workbook while it's shared. I tried to go into tools, protection,
unshare and it changes the option in the menu to show share & protect but the
workbook itself is stuck on share in the title bar and i still can't import
txt files or anything. I've tried to save it this way and reload and other
such combinations without luck. Is there a way i can get this workbook
unshared completely so i can import txt files into it again?

Gord Dibben

Can't unshare workbook

You did not state that in your original post.

You stated only that you went into ToolsProtection and tried to unshare the
workbook.

I tried to go into tools, protection, unshare

There is no "unshare workbook" in ToolsProtection.

Gord

wrote:

I have a workbook with two marcos in it. I set it to share as it was going
to be passed around untill i realized that you can't import txt files into
the workbook while it's shared. I tried to go into tools, protection,
unshare and it changes the option in the menu to show share & protect but the
workbook itself is stuck on share in the title bar and i still can't import
txt files or anything. I've tried to save it this way and reload and other
such combinations without luck. Is there a way i can get this workbook
unshared completely so i can import txt files into it again?

Mr. m0le[_2_]

Can't unshare workbook

"I tried to go into tools, protection,
unshare and it changes the option in the menu to show share & protect but the
workbook itself is stuck on share" my wording may be a little off but here
it is.....

wrote:

I have a workbook with two marcos in it. I set it to share as it was going
to be passed around untill i realized that you can't import txt files into
the workbook while it's shared. I tried to go into tools, protection,
unshare and it changes the option in the menu to show share & protect but the
workbook itself is stuck on share in the title bar and i still can't import
txt files or anything. I've tried to save it this way and reload and other
such combinations without luck. Is there a way i can get this workbook
unshared completely so i can import txt files into it again?

Gord Dibben

Can't unshare workbook

But have you tried ToolsShare Workbook and unchecking "Allow changes etc"

The workbook must be unprotected first.

Gord

wrote:

I have a workbook with two marcos in it. I set it to share as it was going
to be passed around untill i realized that you can't import txt files into
the workbook while it's shared. I tried to go into tools, protection,
unshare and it changes the option in the menu to show share & protect but the
workbook itself is stuck on share in the title bar and i still can't import
txt files or anything. I've tried to save it this way and reload and other
such combinations without luck. Is there a way i can get this workbook
unshared completely so i can import txt files into it again?

Mr. m0le[_2_]

Can't unshare workbook

This is where i ran into the problem... i couldn't unprotect it. It would
allow me to unshare and share it again but all the rest of the protection
options stayed grayed out no matter what i did....