-   -   File name from cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/235790-file-name-cell.html)

Kash

File name from cell

=VLOOKUP(C$2,[Malcolm.xls]Login!$M$1:$N$31,2,FALSE)

in the above formula, how to make the file pick from cell? Something like
&A3&".xls"?

Jacob Skaria

File name from cell

Try

=VLOOKUP(C$2,INDIRECT("'[" & A3 & ".xls]Login'!$M$1:$N$31"),2,FALSE)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Kash" wrote:

=VLOOKUP(C$2,[Malcolm.xls]Login!$M$1:$N$31,2,FALSE)

in the above formula, how to make the file pick from cell? Something like
&A3&".xls"?

Kash

File name from cell

But for INDIRECT, other file should be open right? But, how to go if file is
closed?

Jacob Skaria

File name from cell

You can download an add-in called Morefunc it has a function called
INDIRECT.EXT which will work if the source book is closed

Refer
http://xcell05.free.fr/morefunc/english/index.htm

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Kash" wrote:

But for INDIRECT, other file should be open right? But, how to go if file is
closed?

Ashish Mathur[_2_]

File name from cell

Hi,

When I use the indirect.ext function it works fine until I recalculate the
workbook. When I do so, it shows an error value

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com