-   -   How to reference another cell based on what row a certian header i (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/235789-how-reference-another-cell-based-what-row-certian-header-i.html)

mkloosterboer

How to reference another cell based on what row a certian header i

I would like to have a cell display the same thing as another cell on another
sheet. But the cell I was to reference might change columns often, but it
will always have the same header at the top of the column. So how can I tell
the cell to look at cell 5 for ex. but in the column that says Activity at
the top? remember that the column will change frequently.

Teethless mama

How to reference another cell based on what row a certian header i

=INDIRECT("Sheet2!B5")

"mkloosterboer" wrote:

I would like to have a cell display the same thing as another cell on another
sheet. But the cell I was to reference might change columns often, but it
will always have the same header at the top of the column. So how can I tell
the cell to look at cell 5 for ex. but in the column that says Activity at
the top? remember that the column will change frequently.

T. Valko

How to reference another cell based on what row a certian header i

how can I tell the cell to look at cell 5 for ex.
but in the column that says Activity

Try this...

A1:E1 = column headers, one of which is Activity.

Data in the range A2:E10

=INDEX(A2:E10,5,MATCH("Activity",A1:E1,0))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP