-   -   unable to open protected document I created (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/235332-unable-open-protected-document-i-created.html)

TBryan

unable to open protected document I created

I created a document with formulas and made it PW protected. I am now
precluded to open the document to make edits. I am unable to select
"unprotect" and use PW to make edits. I don't know how this can happen on a
document I authored and have ownership. I need this document desperately.

Harlan Grove[_2_]

unable to open protected document I created

TBryan wrote...
I created a document with formulas and made it PW protected. I am now
precluded to open the document to make edits. I am unable to select
"unprotect" and use PW to make edits. I don't know how this can happen on a
document I authored and have ownership. I need this document desperately.

You mean you gave this file a File-Open password? If so, and you
forgot the password, there's very little you can do other than try to
guess the password or pay a service to try to figure out the password.
If you think you remember the password, the first thing to try is
reversing the capitalization you think you used in case Caps Lock was
on when you entered the password.

Simon Lloyd[_288_]

TBryan;397914 Wrote:
I created a document with formulas and made it PW protected. I am now
precluded to open the document to make edits. I am unable to select
"unprotect" and use PW to make edits. I don't know how this can happen
on a
document I authored and have ownership. I need this document
desperately.

If the protection is greyed out it will normally be because either the
workbook is shared, in which case unshare it and all will be well, or
the code is in break mode, stop debugger and you should then be able to
enter your password....other than that i don't see how it could happen.

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd