-   -   IF or VLOOKUP - help please ..... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/233543-if-vlookup-help-please.html)

Eán[_2_]

IF or VLOOKUP - help please .....

I have a coloum of dates dd/mm/yyyy and would like to return in a separate
coloum the month eg, dd/04/yyyy = 'APRIL' can you let me know what formula I
would need to used to do that please & thank you.

Roger Govier[_3_]

IF or VLOOKUP - help please .....

Hi Ean

With your starting date in A1
Either
=A1 but format the cell FormatCellNumberCustommmm
This will still retain the date as a serial number but display it as Apr
Or
=TEXT(A1,"mmm")
This will create a text value of Apr
Copy down the rest of the column as required.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Eán" wrote in message
I have a coloum of dates dd/mm/yyyy and would like to return in a separate
coloum the month eg, dd/04/yyyy = 'APRIL' can you let me know what formula
would need to used to do that please & thank you.

David Biddulph[_2_]

IF or VLOOKUP - help please .....

As =TEXT(A1,"mmm") gives Apr, you may want to change it to =TEXT(A1,"mmmm")
to get April, or to =UPPER(TEXT(A1,"mmmm")) to get APRIL.
--
David Biddulph

"Eán" wrote in message
I have a coloum of dates dd/mm/yyyy and would like to return in a
separate
coloum the month eg, dd/04/yyyy = 'APRIL' can you let me know what
formula I
would need to used to do that please & thank you.

Jacob Skaria

IF or VLOOKUP - help please .....

and to handle blanks...

=IF(A1,TEXT(A1,"mmmm"),"")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Eán" wrote in message
I have a coloum of dates dd/mm/yyyy and would like to return in a
separate
coloum the month eg, dd/04/yyyy = 'APRIL' can you let me know what
formula I
would need to used to do that please & thank you.

Roger Govier[_3_]

IF or VLOOKUP - help please .....

Thanks Jacob and David

Both excellent points.
I had misread the requirement for the full month name.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Jacob Skaria" wrote in message