-   -   Pivot table - deducting sub-totals of income and expenditure (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/233338-pivot-table-deducting-sub-totals-income-expenditure.html)

DRW

Pivot table - deducting sub-totals of income and expenditure

In Excel 2007, I use pivot tables to analyse income and expenditure.

I would like to be able to deduct the expenditure from the income, but Excel
seems to only provide an addition for Grand Totals, not the ability to deduct.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Eduardo

Pivot table - deducting sub-totals of income and expenditure

Hi,
Yes you are correct, what you can do is to have another column in your file
with the difference and then you can include it in the Pivot table

hope this helps

"DRW" wrote:

In Excel 2007, I use pivot tables to analyse income and expenditure.

I would like to be able to deduct the expenditure from the income, but Excel
seems to only provide an addition for Grand Totals, not the ability to deduct.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks.

DRW

Pivot table - deducting sub-totals of income and expenditure

Thanks for the suggestion.

However, I don't think that would do it. If the income is sales invoices and
the expenditure purchase invoices, then they don't necessarily match up
individually - they only match up when aggregated.

"DRW" wrote:

In Excel 2007, I use pivot tables to analyse income and expenditure.

I would like to be able to deduct the expenditure from the income, but Excel
seems to only provide an addition for Grand Totals, not the ability to deduct.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Roger Govier[_3_]

Pivot table - deducting sub-totals of income and expenditure

Hi

I would have a second Values column in my source table.
Presumably, you have some way of identifying purchase rows from income rows.
Let's assume that column C contains a an I for Income or P for Purchase.
Let's also assume the existing Value column is column F
so in the new Values column (Value2)
=IF(C2="P",F2*-1,F2)
Copy down

Extend your PT source to contain this new Value2 column, and drag that to
the data area in place of the existing Value column.
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"DRW" wrote in message
In Excel 2007, I use pivot tables to analyse income and expenditure.

I would like to be able to deduct the expenditure from the income, but
Excel
seems to only provide an addition for Grand Totals, not the ability to
deduct.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks.

DRW

Pivot table - deducting sub-totals of income and expenditure

Amazingly simple when you think about it!

Many thanks, Roger.

Might it also be great if Excel did allow deductions as well as Sum??