-   -   Dates and IF Functions (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/232533-dates-if-functions.html)

Happysapper

Dates and IF Functions

Hi, I'm compiling a competency register with a "date of test taken" in one
column, and the next column takes that vale and adds 6 months.

I have mastered the straightforward business of adding the 6 months; but
what i can't prevent is the answer of "29/06/1900" appearing in those cells
where i have yet to enter a value for the "date of test taken".

When i tried an IF function using the date formula as one of the "values if
true" the cells displayed the formula and not the answer.

Thanks

HS

T. Valko

Dates and IF Functions

What's your formula look like that adds 6 months?

Try it like this:

=IF(A1="","",your_formula_here)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Happysapper" wrote in message
Hi, I'm compiling a competency register with a "date of test taken" in one
column, and the next column takes that vale and adds 6 months.

I have mastered the straightforward business of adding the 6 months; but
what i can't prevent is the answer of "29/06/1900" appearing in those
cells
where i have yet to enter a value for the "date of test taken".

When i tried an IF function using the date formula as one of the "values
if
true" the cells displayed the formula and not the answer.

Thanks

HS

Ron Rosenfeld

Dates and IF Functions

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 09:49:02 -0700, Happysapper
wrote:

Hi, I'm compiling a competency register with a "date of test taken" in one
column, and the next column takes that vale and adds 6 months.

I have mastered the straightforward business of adding the 6 months; but
what i can't prevent is the answer of "29/06/1900" appearing in those cells
where i have yet to enter a value for the "date of test taken".

When i tried an IF function using the date formula as one of the "values if
true" the cells displayed the formula and not the answer.

Most likely this cell is formatted as text.

A simpler formula might be:

=if(isnumber(cell_ref_with_date_of_test_taken),dat e + 6 months,"")

--ron

Eduardo

Dates and IF Functions

Hi,
you can fix the 29/06/1900 from appearing with an if statement

if(A1="","",A1+60)

A1= cell where you enter the date