-   -   Why won't my spreadsheet SUM??? Help (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/231723-why-wont-my-spreadsheet-sum-help.html)

SnoDrift12

Why won't my spreadsheet SUM??? Help

Having used lotues1-2-3 for 8 years to prepare income tax repoerts, I am now
using Excel for the first time. I copied my Lotus Workbook, to an Excel
workbook. It has 12 identical sheets (1/month) which I "sum" 8 columns and
then "sum' the same cell from each sheet onto a summary sheet.

The problem is 4 of my columns "sum" accurately on row 100, while the other
4 ony display zero(0). I have tried copying from the cells with correct sums,
checked the format, but for the life of me cannot figure out why these
columns won't add up!

=sum(b18:b99) ... should read 4500 .... displays zero. please help, my taxes
are already late!!! Thanks

francis

Why won't my spreadsheet SUM??? Help

check if these are text
place this in another and copy down to B99
=TEXT(B18)
it will reurn TRUE if they are text
format as number in another column
=Value(B18), copy down
select the range and copy paste special Value onto B18 : B99
--
Hope this is helpful

Pls click the Yes button below if this post provide answer you have asked

Thank You

cheers, francis

Am not a greek but an ordinary user trying to assist another

"SnoDrift12" wrote:

Having used lotues1-2-3 for 8 years to prepare income tax repoerts, I am now
using Excel for the first time. I copied my Lotus Workbook, to an Excel
workbook. It has 12 identical sheets (1/month) which I "sum" 8 columns and
then "sum' the same cell from each sheet onto a summary sheet.

The problem is 4 of my columns "sum" accurately on row 100, while the other
4 ony display zero(0). I have tried copying from the cells with correct sums,
checked the format, but for the life of me cannot figure out why these
columns won't add up!

=sum(b18:b99) ... should read 4500 .... displays zero. please help, my taxes
are already late!!! Thanks

Sheeloo

Why won't my spreadsheet SUM??? Help

You can convert to number by another method as detailed below;
Enter 1 in any cell
Copy the cell
Select the column you want to convert
Right-click, choose PASTE Special-Multiply-OK

"SnoDrift12" wrote:

Having used lotues1-2-3 for 8 years to prepare income tax repoerts, I am now
using Excel for the first time. I copied my Lotus Workbook, to an Excel
workbook. It has 12 identical sheets (1/month) which I "sum" 8 columns and
then "sum' the same cell from each sheet onto a summary sheet.

The problem is 4 of my columns "sum" accurately on row 100, while the other
4 ony display zero(0). I have tried copying from the cells with correct sums,
checked the format, but for the life of me cannot figure out why these
columns won't add up!

=sum(b18:b99) ... should read 4500 .... displays zero. please help, my taxes
are already late!!! Thanks

Sean Timmons

Why won't my spreadsheet SUM??? Help

Alternate fix is to type 1 into a blank cell, copy the 1, highlight your
value, paste special/multiply. Forces the cells to number format...