-   -   Return a column value from a horizontal search (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/231389-return-column-value-horizontal-search.html)

Spag

Return a column value from a horizontal search

Hello

I'm trying to look across a row for a non blank cell and return what is in
the first cell of the column in which the non blank cell is found. Does
anybody have any ideas how that could be done?

Thanks

Jacob Skaria

Return a column value from a horizontal search

The below formula returns the first value in Col A

=INDEX(A:A,MATCH("*",A:A,0))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Spag" wrote:

Hello

I'm trying to look across a row for a non blank cell and return what is in
the first cell of the column in which the non blank cell is found. Does
anybody have any ideas how that could be done?

Thanks

Jacob Skaria

Return a column value from a horizontal search

First value of row 1 within A1:Z1

=INDEX(A1:Z1,0,MATCH("*",A1:Z1,0))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Spag" wrote:

Hello

I'm trying to look across a row for a non blank cell and return what is in
the first cell of the column in which the non blank cell is found. Does
anybody have any ideas how that could be done?

Thanks

Spag

Return a column value from a horizontal search

Thank you for that however this returns the cell A1 entry even if the cell is
blank. I need it to check which cell in the row is not empty and return the
relevant column entry in row 1

"Spag" wrote:

Hello

I'm trying to look across a row for a non blank cell and return what is in
the first cell of the column in which the non blank cell is found. Does
anybody have any ideas how that could be done?

Thanks

Jacob Skaria

Return a column value from a horizontal search

I misunderstood your query as 1st column instead of 1st Row. The below will
return the first non-blank entry in row1

=INDEX(1:1,0,MATCH("*",1:1,0))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Spag" wrote:

Hello

I'm trying to look across a row for a non blank cell and return what is in
the first cell of the column in which the non blank cell is found. Does
anybody have any ideas how that could be done?

Thanks

Spag

Return a column value from a horizontal search

Thanks but again it doesn't seem to be working, it seems to return the colum
header for the first cell whether blank or not. Please find below an example
of what I'm trying to achieve with column 'a' being the formula column and
row '1' the value to return:

a b c d e
1 one two three four
2 four 1
3 three 1
4
5
6 Four 1

"Spag" wrote:

Hello

I'm trying to look across a row for a non blank cell and return what is in
the first cell of the column in which the non blank cell is found. Does
anybody have any ideas how that could be done?

Thanks

Jacob Skaria

Return a column value from a horizontal search

With the below data...

In A2 enter the below formula and copy that down. This will look for an
entry 1.

=INDEX($A$1:$Z$1,0,MATCH(1,$B2:$Z2,0)+1)

If you are entering a text value then instead of one then use the below in A2

=INDEX($A$1:$Z$1,0,MATCH("*",$B2:$Z2,0)+1)

--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

"Spag" wrote:

Hello

I'm trying to look across a row for a non blank cell and return what is in
the first cell of the column in which the non blank cell is found. Does
anybody have any ideas how that could be done?

Thanks

Ashish Mathur[_2_]

Return a column value from a horizontal search

Hi,

You can try this array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

=INDEX(E6:E10,MATCH(TRUE,E6:E10<"",0),1)

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Spag" wrote in message
Hello

I'm trying to look across a row for a non blank cell and return what is in
the first cell of the column in which the non blank cell is found. Does
anybody have any ideas how that could be done?

Thanks

Spag

Return a column value from a horizontal search

Thank you very much that works perfectly.