-   -   Separate names into columns (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/230791-separate-names-into-columns.html)

Carter

Separate names into columns

I have a column that has first and last name or it may have first, middle and
last name. I need to know how to pull the first name in a separate column
and also pull the last name into another column. I need to know how to
ignore the middle name, if applicable.

Teethless mama

Separate names into columns

Try this:

First name:
=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

Last name:
=TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",REPT(" ",99)),99))

"Carter" wrote:

I have a column that has first and last name or it may have first, middle and
last name. I need to know how to pull the first name in a separate column
and also pull the last name into another column. I need to know how to
ignore the middle name, if applicable.

Jacob Skaria

Separate names into columns

Bit lengthy to handle entries with first names alone...

First name ()
=LEFT(A12,FIND(" ",A12 & " ")-1)

Last name
=IF(ISERROR(FIND(" ",A12)),"",TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A12," ",REPT("
",99)),99)))

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria

"Carter" wrote:

I have a column that has first and last name or it may have first, middle and
last name. I need to know how to pull the first name in a separate column
and also pull the last name into another column. I need to know how to
ignore the middle name, if applicable.

Carter

Separate names into columns

This worked perfectly. Thanks! Shelia