-   -   What does "," mean in a formula? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/23062-what-does-%22-%22-mean-formula.html)

Excel Question

What does "," mean in a formula?

This is the formula put together and I was wondering if anyone knew what the
comma in between the quotations meant. Could you explain what the formula
means?

Thanks a bunch.

=IF(D16="","",D16)

Jason Morin

If D16 is nothing (empty), then return nothing, otherwise return the value in
D16.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

"Excel Question" wrote:

This is the formula put together and I was wondering if anyone knew what the
comma in between the quotations meant. Could you explain what the formula
means?

Thanks a bunch.

=IF(D16="","",D16)

Biff

Hi!

The comma is simply an argument separator.

The function is IF. The IF function uses 3 arguments and the arguments are
separated by commas.

=IF

Argument 1 is D16="". Meaning D16 = blank

The first argument in an IF function is a logical test. That is, is this
condition TRUE or FALSE.

Argument 2 is "". Meaning blank.

The second argument in the IF function is the value to return if the logical
test is TRUE.

Argument 3 is D16. Meaning the value in D16.

The third argument in the IF function is the value to return if the logical
test is FALSE.

Put it all together:

IF D16 = blank, return blank, return D16

Biff

"Excel Question" wrote in message
This is the formula put together and I was wondering if anyone knew what
the
comma in between the quotations meant. Could you explain what the formula
means?

Thanks a bunch.

=IF(D16="","",D16)

JoOwl0

In that case, why not jsut make the cell =D16?
Jason Morin wrote:
If D16 is nothing (empty), then return nothing, otherwise return the

value in
D16.

Dave Peterson

If D16 is empty, then the formula =d16 will return a 0.

--

Dave Peterson