-   -   Find column letter of the first unused cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/230412-find-column-letter-first-unused-cell.html)

John

Find column letter of the first unused cell

What Excel 2007 fcn do I use to find the letter of the first column in the
row C2:C13 that is empty?

I appreciate your help, -John

Rick Rothstein

Find column letter of the first unused cell

Since all the cells in C2:C13 are in Column C, I'm betting that there is no
column letter that can match your stated condition. If you meant to write
something like C2:K2, then you could use this formula to return the column
letter...

=CHAR(64+SUMPRODUCT((C2:K2="")*COLUMN(C2:K2)))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"John" wrote in message
What Excel 2007 fcn do I use to find the letter of the first column in the
row C2:C13 that is empty?

I appreciate your help, -John

Ron Rosenfeld

Find column letter of the first unused cell

On Sun, 10 May 2009 12:31:01 -0700, John
wrote:

What Excel 2007 fcn do I use to find the letter of the first column in the
row C2:C13 that is empty?

I appreciate your help, -John

Your question is unclear. You are only specifying a one column range. The
column number would be 3 if there are any empty cells in that range.

If you mean the column number of the first empty cell in a row, starting with
column C, then look below.

If you mean something else, then try rephrasing your question.

This formula must be **array-entered**:

=SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1,2+MATCH(TRUE,ISBLANK(C2:XFD2 ),0),4),1,"")
^

Note that the "2" is the column number for column C less 1.

To **array-enter** a formula, after entering
the formula into the cell or formula bar, hold down
<ctrl<shift while hitting <enter. If you did this
correctly, Excel will place braces {...} around the formula.
--ron