-   -   Difficulty cleaning some char(63) characters (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/230293-difficulty-cleaning-some-char-63-characters.html)

Raj[_2_]

Difficulty cleaning some char(63) characters

Hi,

I am having two strings with different first characters. One looks
looks like a pair of "L"s and the other a solid vertical block. Both
these characters are at the beginning of the string. When the code
function is run both return the value 63. However, when I run
substitute(a1,char(63),"") the character is not subsituted with "".
Char(63) incidentally looks like a question mark..

How do I clean these characters which return char(63) but do not
respond to the substitute function on them?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Regards,
Raj

Bernie Deitrick

Difficulty cleaning some char(63) characters

Raj,

They might be extended ascii characters, if you are copying from, say, a website. Could you just
use

=MID(A1,2,len(A1))

HTH,
Bernie