-   -   Help with data total (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/228077-help-data-total.html)

Marlin2412

Help with data total

I am trying to find out how I can create a form that will add up how many
times a certain letter combination appears in a row of data. To help
clarify, I am a Police Officer and we are required to collect the race / sex
of each offender we contact. In the column it has several choices (10),
ie....W/M, W/F, B/M, B/F, etc....

Then at the bottom of the form it wants a total of how many times each
appered. One box has W/M and wants a total, one B/M and asks a total and so
on.

I was wondering if there is some way in which I can make it where each time
one appears in this column it adds one in the correct total box. I hope this
make sense and any input is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Teethless mama

Help with data total

Assuming your data in A2:A100, your criteria start in B2

=COUNTIF($A$2:$A$100,B2)

"Marlin2412" wrote:

I am trying to find out how I can create a form that will add up how many
times a certain letter combination appears in a row of data. To help
clarify, I am a Police Officer and we are required to collect the race / sex
of each offender we contact. In the column it has several choices (10),
ie....W/M, W/F, B/M, B/F, etc....

Then at the bottom of the form it wants a total of how many times each
appered. One box has W/M and wants a total, one B/M and asks a total and so
on.

I was wondering if there is some way in which I can make it where each time
one appears in this column it adds one in the correct total box. I hope this
make sense and any input is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Marlin2412

Help with data total

YOU ARE SOOOOOOO AWESOME THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!!

Teethless mama

Help with data total

You're Welcome!