-   -   Custom Cell Style - Shows as error and cannot be deleted (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/227245-custom-cell-style-shows-error-cannot-deleted.html)

Paul C

Custom Cell Style - Shows as error and cannot be deleted

I am using Excel 2007.

I have a large workbook (assembled from many sources) that contained many
unused custom cell styles. I was able to delete all of the custom styles
(many thanks to members of this discussion group) except one.

There is a style with the name 1. If I try to click on it in the ribbon I
get a system message box stating:

Style ' 1' not found.

If i use this code in VBA

Sub ststyles() i = ActiveWorkbook.Styles.Count
For A = 1 To i
ActiveCell = ActiveWorkbook.Styles(A).Name
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
Next A

It shows up as the first style on the list.

I used this code to find the exact name.

Sub testdelete()
A = ActiveWorkbook.Styles(1).Name
ActiveWorkbook.Styles(A).Delete
End Sub

In the watch window A=" 1", but the program errors out on the delete line
with a message:

Run-time error '1004':
Delete method of Style class failed

I even tried Activeworkbook.Styles(1).Delete and got the same error.

Any ideas how to get rid of this style?
--
If this helps, please remember to click yes.

Mike van de Water

Deleting Style 1 not found

According to this site:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40950

The error results because you have more than the maximu number of Styles.

Delete a few manually, then delete style 1.

Worked for me...

Paul wrote:

Custom Cell Style - Shows as error and cannot be deleted
09-Apr-09

[...]

On Thursday, April 09, 2009 1:47 PM
Paul wrote:

[...]

WPF Binding Beyond the Limitation of Name Scopes
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...nd-the-li.aspx

[email protected]

On Thursday, April 9, 2009 11:47:01 AM UTC-6, Paul C wrote:
[...]

Paul - were you ever able to fix this?