Frazer Snowdon

Default Creating fixture lists

Hi,

How can I use Excel to create fixture lists for a sporting league?

I'm taking over the job from a colleague, but I don't know how to do it. I
know that he gives each team a value, and then gets excel to automatically
generate the fixtures for the whole season.

Is this easily possible?

FS

Bob Phillips

Here is a solution that was previously given by Tom Ogilvy.

Just mix up the combinations and assign dates.

Sub RoundRobin14()
Dim varr As Variant
Dim varr1(1 To 7, 1 To 2)
Range("C:D").ClearContents
varr = Worksheets("sheet1").Range("A1:A14")
For i = 1 To 13 * 8 Step 8
rotate varr
Split1 varr, varr1
Cells(i, 3).Resize(7, 2).Value = varr1
Next
Set rng = Cells(Rows.Count, 3).End(xlUp)(2)
Range(Range("C1"), rng).Copy rng.Offset(1, 1)
Range(Range("D1"), rng.Offset(0, 1)).Copy rng.Offset(1, 0)
End Sub

Sub Split1(arr1, arr2)
l = -1
For i = 1 To 14
If i <= 7 Then
j = i
ii = i
k = 1
Else
l = l + 1
ii = 14 - l
j = i - 7
k = 2
End If
arr2(j, k) = arr1(ii, 1)
Next
End Sub

Sub rotate(arr)
arr1 = arr
For i = 2 To 13
arr(i, 1) = arr1(i + 1, 1)
Next
arr(14, 1) = arr1(2, 1)

HTH

RP

"Frazer Snowdon" wrote in message

How can I use Excel to create fixture lists for a sporting league?

I'm taking over the job from a colleague, but I don't know how to do it. I
know that he gives each team a value, and then gets excel to automatically
generate the fixtures for the whole season.

Is this easily possible?

FS

Bob Phillips

PS this was for fourteen teams, here is a more generalised version for any
number of teams. It assumes an even number of teams, so if you have an odd
number, just add a dummy team then delete their fixtures (I am sure that it
could manage even or odd, but I don't have the inclination :-))

Const NumTeams As Long = 16

Sub RoundRobin()
Dim varr As Variant
Dim varr1(1 To NumTeams \ 2, 1 To 2)
Range("C:D").ClearContents
varr = Worksheets("sheet1").Range("A1:A" & NumTeams)
For i = 1 To (NumTeams - 1) * (NumTeams \ 2) + 1 Step (NumTeams \ 2) + 1
rotate varr
Split1 varr, varr1
Cells(i, 3).Resize((NumTeams \ 2), 2).Value = varr1
Next
Set rng = Cells(Rows.Count, 3).End(xlUp)(2)
Range(Range("C1"), rng).Copy rng.Offset(1, 1)
Range(Range("D1"), rng.Offset(0, 1)).Copy rng.Offset(1, 0)
End Sub

Sub Split1(arr1, arr2)
l = -1
For i = 1 To NumTeams
If i <= (NumTeams \ 2) Then
j = i
ii = i
k = 1
Else
l = l + 1
ii = NumTeams - l
j = i - (NumTeams \ 2)
k = 2
End If
arr2(j, k) = arr1(ii, 1)
Next
End Sub

Sub rotate(arr)
arr1 = arr
For i = 2 To NumTeams - 1
arr(i, 1) = arr1(i + 1, 1)
Next
arr(NumTeams, 1) = arr1(2, 1)

HTH

RP

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
[...]

Bob Phillips

Forget a pair of parentheses. Added some comments

Sub RoundRobin()
'Controlling procedure
'Reads the teams into an array, and loops each fixture set
'to get a new team set order and the create a set of fixtures
'from that which are then dumped onto a worksheet area
Dim varr As Variant
Dim varr1(1 To NumTeams \ 2, 1 To 2)
Range("C:D").ClearContents
varr = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:A" & NumTeams)
For i = 1 To (NumTeams - 1) * ((NumTeams \ 2) + 1) Step (NumTeams \ 2) +
1
rotate varr
Split1 varr, varr1
Cells(i, 3).Resize((NumTeams \ 2), 2).Value = varr1
Next
Set rng = Cells(Rows.Count, 3).End(xlUp)(2)
Range(Range("C1"), rng).Copy rng.Offset(1, 1)
Range(Range("D1"), rng.Offset(0, 1)).Copy rng.Offset(1, 0)
End Sub

Sub Split1(arr1, arr2)
'This procedure creates one fixture set by coupling element 1
'of the input array with element n, element 2 with n-1, etc.,
'and returns this as a new array
l = -1
For i = 1 To NumTeams
If i <= (NumTeams \ 2) Then
j = i
ii = i
k = 1
Else
l = l + 1
ii = NumTeams - l
j = i - (NumTeams \ 2)
k = 2
End If
arr2(j, k) = arr1(ii, 1)
Next
End Sub

Sub rotate(arr)
'This procedure shunts all except the first elements of
'the array up by 1 and moves the second element to last
Dim aryRotate
aryRotate = arr
For i = 2 To NumTeams - 1
arr(i, 1) = aryRotate(i + 1, 1)
Next
arr(NumTeams, 1) = aryRotate(2, 1)

[...]

Frazer Snowdon

Bob,

Many thanks for your answers, but it means nothing to me. I'm not a
programmer, and I'm a relative newbie with Excel.

Is it easy for a beginner to do, or will I be best delegating the job to
someone else?

cheers,

FS

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Bob Phillips

Yes it is easy.

In a worksheet, hit Alt-F11. This will take you into the VBE.
In the Menu select InsertModule
Copy the code into the pane presented
Then on the worksheet, list the teams in A1:An
Then run the macro, menu ToolsMacro..Macros, select RoundRobin from the
list and click Run, you will get fixtures.

--

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Frazer Snowdon

Thanks, Bob.

I did what you said but it errored, even with the chevrons taken out. Not
sure which bits to leave in and which to take out.

I think my best bet may be to explore other options/programmes, because I
have around 250 teams over 21 leagues to sort out and I can't afford to get
it wrong.

I'm not doubting what you say, but I can't be coming on here to ask for help
every time something goes wrong! It'd take me until next season to sort it!

Thanks for your time anyway!

FS

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Frazer Snowdon

Bob,

That's a very kind offer - won't it take you a long time? As I said, there
are almost 250 teams across 21 leagues, some with different numbers of teams
in.

I'm not sure which teams are in which league yet because the current season
hasn't finished just yet. But I may take you up on your offer when it has.
Thanks very much.

What's your e-mail address?

Frazer

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Bob Phillips

Frazier,

I will create a workbook that does it based upon whatever teams are in a
given range, and then you can just plug one set of teams in, generate a
fixture list, then the next and so on. You can do that whenever you are
ready.

Give me your email address and I will mail it on.

--

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

:-))

[...]

Martin P

Here is a suggestion to do the list using 3 tables on a worksheet instead of
a macro. My example is for 12 teams.
It can be done with 2 tables, but I use 3 tables to keep things simple.
In cells A1 to A12 are the numbers 12 to 1, and in cells B1 to B12 are the
numbers 1 to 12. Cells C1 to C12 also have 1 to 12. All the cells from B1 to
M1 contain the number 1. Cell D2 has =C3, which is copied down to D11 (not
right down). Cell D12 has =C2. The cells D1 to D12 are copied to E1:M12.
Now for the second table. B15 to B26 contain the numbers 1 to 12. Enter the
following in C15:
=SUMPRODUCT($A$1:$A$12,--(C$1:C$12=$B15))
Copy this to all the cells C15 to M26.
This leaves the third and last table. Cells N15 to N26 have numbers 1 to 12
(team numbers). Cells O14 to Y14 have the numbers of the weeks, 1 to 11, if
you have weekly matches. In cell O15 enter the following:
=VLOOKUP(C15,$B$1:$M$12,O$14+1)
Copy this to the rest of the table.

"Frazer Snowdon" wrote:

Hi,

How can I use Excel to create fixture lists for a sporting league?

I'm taking over the job from a colleague, but I don't know how to do it. I
know that he gives each team a value, and then gets excel to automatically
generate the fixtures for the whole season.

Is this easily possible?

FS

Frazer Snowdon

Bob,

Sorry for the delay in replying - had a couple of days off work!

my e-mail is

many thanks for your time on this one!

Cheers,

FS