-   -   How to get string to use IF formula only when another cell is text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/225842-how-get-string-use-if-formula-only-when-another-cell-text.html)

GoinCrazy

How to get string to use IF formula only when another cell is text

Hi all,

Thanks for any suggestions, although I'm sure this is very simple, for
anyone other than myself...

If cell $A1 is text I want to use an IF formula. But if A1 is blank (or
number) I want to return a blank cell as the result.

ex:
A B C
1 boy 0 x
2 hat
3 0
4
5 123 0
6 124

The formula I've tried (that doesn't work) is:

=IF(ISTEXT(A1),(=if(B1=0,"x",""),"")

Domenic[_2_]

How to get string to use IF formula only when another cell is text

Try...

=IF(ISTEXT(A1),IF(B1<"",IF(B1=0,"x",""),""),"")

Hope this helps!

http://www.xl-central.com

In article ,
GoinCrazy wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for any suggestions, although I'm sure this is very simple, for
anyone other than myself...

If cell $A1 is text I want to use an IF formula. But if A1 is blank (or
number) I want to return a blank cell as the result.

ex:
A B C
1 boy 0 x
2 hat
3 0
4
5 123 0
6 124

The formula I've tried (that doesn't work) is:

=IF(ISTEXT(A1),(=if(B1=0,"x",""),"")

Teethless mama

How to get string to use IF formula only when another cell is text

=IF(AND(ISTEXT(A1),B1=0),"x","")