Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Searching for a string of text inside a column

Hello,

Odd problem. I need to find text in a column...
Every row (44,000) contains a single byte and it needs to stay that way as
the previous columns contain information about that single byte..

I need to search for patterns of text/strings against a column....

For example.
A B C D E
Info Info Info Info 5
Info Info Info Info 2
Info Info Info Info 0
Info Info Info Info 3
Info Info Info Info 4
Info Info Info Info 7
Info Info Info Info 1
Info Info Info Info 3
Info Info Info Info 6
Info Info Info Info 7

So I need to search for "5203471367" and find that repeating pattern.

I can not seem to find a way or function to do it inside of Excel and I am
not a programmer so I am unable to write code/macros/vbs.

I tried to concatenate the data in a new column but it only lets me do 30 at
time... and that wont really work anyway because I need to what differences
exist from row to row within my search pattern... (the previous columns text
do not match and I need to find the commonalities so I can create a search
function for flat/text files)

Thanks for any help that can be provided.