-   -   Combinations in a string of data (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/222375-combinations-string-data.html)

Eán[_2_]

Combinations in a string of data

Is there a function / formula I can use to determine how many combinations a
string of data can return the same value?
For example:
10
15
20
5
There are 2 ways the above data can return the value 25.

Many thanks

joel

Combinations in a string of data

Requires a macro. How big is your table?

"Eán" wrote:

Is there a function / formula I can use to determine how many combinations a
string of data can return the same value?
For example:
10
15
20
5
There are 2 ways the above data can return the value 25.

Many thanks

Eán[_2_]

Combinations in a string of data

50 lines

"Eán" wrote:

Is there a function / formula I can use to determine how many combinations a
string of data can return the same value?
For example:
10
15
20
5
There are 2 ways the above data can return the value 25.

Many thanks

joel

Combinations in a string of data

I had a similar macro that I needed to modify. I don't know how to input the
input numbers or how you want the results. Run this code and I will modify
as required

Public InStrings
Public combo
Public RowCount
Public ComboLen
Public NumbersMatch
Public Checktotal
Sub combinations()

Checktotal = 25
NumbersMatch = 0

InStrings = Array(10, 15, 20, 25)
Length = UBound(InStrings) + 1

Level = 1
RowCount = 1
For ComboLen = 1 To Length
ReDim combo(ComboLen)
Position = 0

Call recursive(Level, Position)
Next ComboLen
End Sub
Sub recursive(ByVal Level As Integer, ByVal Position As Integer)

Length = UBound(InStrings) + 1

For i = Position To (Length - 1)

'for combinations check if item already entered
found = False
For j = 0 To (Level - 2)
'combo is a count of the combinations,not the actual data
'123
'124
'125
'234
'235
'245
'345
'data is actually in InStrings
If combo(j) = i Then
found = True
Exit For
End If
Next j

If found = False Then
combo(Level - 1) = i
If Level = ComboLen Then
For j = 0 To (ComboLen - 1)
If j = 0 Then
ComboString = InStrings(combo(j))
Mytotal = Val(InStrings(combo(j)))
Else
ComboString = ComboString & "," & InStrings(combo(j))
Mytotal = Mytotal + Val(InStrings(combo(j)))
End If
Next j
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & RowCount) = ComboString
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B" & RowCount) = Mytotal
If Checktotal = Mytotal Then
NumbersMatch = NumbersMatch + 1
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C" & RowCount) = NumbersMatch
End If
RowCount = RowCount + 1
Else
Call recursive(Level + 1, i)
Next i
End Sub

"Eán" wrote:

50 lines

"Eán" wrote:

Is there a function / formula I can use to determine how many combinations a
string of data can return the same value?
For example:
10
15
20
5
There are 2 ways the above data can return the value 25.

Many thanks

Dana DeLouis[_3_]

Combinations in a string of data

5,10,15,20....