-   -   Hours and minutes (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/221980-hours-minutes.html)

Eán[_2_]

Hours and minutes

If I want to record time spent is there a function I can use to add time,
that is for example:

15mins + 30mins + 90mins = 2hrs 15mins or 135mins.

Please and thank you

Glenn

Hours and minutes

Eán wrote:
If I want to record time spent is there a function I can use to add time,
that is for example:

15mins + 30mins + 90mins = 2hrs 15mins or 135mins.

Please and thank you

Look at "Add times" in the help file.

joel

Hours and minutes

It depends how your numbers are entered. Is 15mins a number or a text
string? I have a UDF that can add strings I can modify it to return a time.

"Eán" wrote:

If I want to record time spent is there a function I can use to add time,
that is for example:

15mins + 30mins + 90mins = 2hrs 15mins or 135mins.

Please and thank you

Eán[_2_]

Hours and minutes

currently the numbers are entered as numbers. i.e. 15+30+90 etc.

"Eán" wrote:

If I want to record time spent is there a function I can use to add time,
that is for example:

15mins + 30mins + 90mins = 2hrs 15mins or 135mins.

Please and thank you

Fred Smith[_4_]

Hours and minutes

Which one do you want, time or minutes? In either case, it's just addition:
=a1+a2+a3

The key is how you enter it. If you want your total in minutes, just enter
numbers, like 15, 30 and 90.
If you want your total in hours and minutes, enter hours and minutes, as in
0:15, 0:30, 1:30.

If, for some reason, you want to enter minutes, but display your total as a
time, then divide by the number of minutes in a day, as in:
=(a1+a2+a3)/24/60

Remember to format your result as a time.

Regards,
Fred.

"Eán" wrote in message
If I want to record time spent is there a function I can use to add time,
that is for example:

15mins + 30mins + 90mins = 2hrs 15mins or 135mins.

Please and thank you

Rick Rothstein

Hours and minutes

You can use the SUM function to get total minutes then. Let's say your
values are in A1 through A50, then use this...

=SUM(A1:A50)

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Eán" wrote:

If I want to record time spent is there a function I can use to add
time,
that is for example:

15mins + 30mins + 90mins = 2hrs 15mins or 135mins.

Please and thank you

Roger Govier[_3_]

Hours and minutes

Hi

Assuming you have your values entered in cells A1, A2, A3 etc.
With a summation formula in A11
=SUM(A1:A10)/1440
A11FormatCellsNumberCustom[h]:mm

Excel stores times as fractions of a day, so there are 24 * 60 = 1440
minutes in a day.
Adding all your value and dividing by 1440 gives the result as a time 2:15

If you just wanted the result as decimal hours then it would be
=ROUND((SUM(A1:A10)/60),2)
which would give a result of 2.25
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Eán" wrote:

If I want to record time spent is there a function I can use to add
time,
that is for example:

15mins + 30mins + 90mins = 2hrs 15mins or 135mins.

Please and thank you

joel

Hours and minutes

If you want the results to display like 2 Hours and 15 minutes then you have
to enter the number as time not straight numbers. Format the input cells to
a time format. Enter minutes as 0:15 or hours and minutes to 2:15 (2 hours
and 15 minutes). Then sum the time and format the formula cell also to time.