-   -   #VALUE! (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/221185-value.html)

Chris Valenti

#VALUE!

I am revising a spreadsheet I made years ago which includes this function:
=SUM(IF(Category="Misc",Hours,0)) . When I edit the function [for example,
change"Misc" to "Some"] I get this: #VALUE! I recalled that there is a
specific way to enter the change rather than simply hit ENTER.
Thanks!

Jerry W. Lewis

#VALUE!

Array formulas must be array entered (Ctrl-Shift-Enter). Alternately, you
can modify working array formulas with the menu-based search and replace.

Jerry

"Chris Valenti" wrote:

I am revising a spreadsheet I made years ago which includes this function:
=SUM(IF(Category="Misc",Hours,0)) . When I edit the function [for example,
change"Misc" to "Some"] I get this: #VALUE! I recalled that there is a
specific way to enter the change rather than simply hit ENTER.
Thanks!

Chris Valenti[_2_]

#VALUE!

Jerry,

Thanks!

Chris

"Chris Valenti" wrote:

I am revising a spreadsheet I made years ago which includes this function:
=SUM(IF(Category="Misc",Hours,0)) . When I edit the function [for example,
change"Misc" to "Some"] I get this: #VALUE! I recalled that there is a
specific way to enter the change rather than simply hit ENTER.
Thanks!Jerry

T. Valko

#VALUE!

You should be able to use this non-array formula (just hit ENTER):

=SUMIF(Category,"Misc",Hours)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP