-   -   Dependent Validation (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/220786-dependent-validation.html)

Paul

Dependent Validation

I have seen solutions for dependent validation, but they are for pretty
simple situations.

I have a need for four levels of validation (Pick Level 1, Options for level
2 are based on level 1, Options for level 3 are based on levels 1 and
2,....). The source file with all the options has about 1000 lines of data.
Is there a way to do these searchs on the fly?

Thanks

JBeaucaire[_124_]

Dependent Validation

Paul;228589 Wrote:
I have seen solutions for dependent validation, but they are for pretty
simple situations.

I have a need for four levels of validation (Pick Level 1, Options for
level
2 are based on level 1, Options for level 3 are based on levels 1 and
2,....). The source file with all the options has about 1000 lines of
data.
Is there a way to do these searchs on the fly?

Here's a link to a workbook I created for someone to show how to flow
several dependent lists in a row. This book goes three levels deep with
many choices. You can easily extend that idea further.

'Excel Help Forum' (http://tinyurl.com/cvsukj)

These dependent lists are based on named ranges. In my sample, if you
highlight the cells below a colored title (like B2:B4) and then look at
the name box to the left of the formula bar, you will see the names I
gave them. The dependent lists are just lists of Named ranges, and the
samples in column I and J use an INDIRECT() method in the cell's
validation list to grab the name of the cell to the left to choose the
next named range.

Have a look.

..

--