-   -   Averaging (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/220043-averaging.html)

Jen_T

Averaging

I have a worksheet where I average the turnaround time per month per
employee, than take all the averages and get an average for the group for
that month.
The situation I have now is a new employee does the work 25% of the time and
the employee average is of course is lower than the reamining employess since
she only works on the process 25 % of the time. How do I obtain accurate
average turnaround time for all five employees with one only processing 25%
of the work ?

Bernie Deitrick

Averaging

Jen,

Simply, instead of dividing by the worker count (5), divide the final sum by the weighted employee
count (4.25).

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Jen_T" wrote in message
I have a worksheet where I average the turnaround time per month per
employee, than take all the averages and get an average for the group for
that month.
The situation I have now is a new employee does the work 25% of the time and
the employee average is of course is lower than the reamining employess since
she only works on the process 25 % of the time. How do I obtain accurate
average turnaround time for all five employees with one only processing 25%
of the work ?

Jen_T

Averaging

That i could do with a total count of pieces worked. However I am doing an
average turnaround time. Each employee shows how many days to work a piece,
than I average per month for each employee by taking the turaround for each
day than averaging. Then I take all employees averages and obtain an overall
average for the group. I am concerned with the one employee when I have all
averages for the four that the 5th with 25% of work done by him/her will
bring the overall monthly average turnaround down.

"Jen_T" wrote in message
I have a worksheet where I average the turnaround time per month per
employee, than take all the averages and get an average for the group for
that month.
The situation I have now is a new employee does the work 25% of the time and
the employee average is of course is lower than the reamining employess since
she only works on the process 25 % of the time. How do I obtain accurate
average turnaround time for all five employees with one only processing 25%
of the work ?

Bernie Deitrick

Averaging

On second thought: try dividing the 25% employee's value by 4 if it is a time or other duration
value (since it should take them 4 times longer) before averaging it.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP