-   -   inserting [ ] around text in a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/219896-inserting-%5B-%5D-around-text-cell.html)

Ecappello

inserting [ ] around text in a cell

Hi,
I have a list of first names in Excel 2003 spreadsheet and I need to insert
square brackets around each first name. Is there a function I could use to
help me do this?
Thanks
Emma

Dave Peterson

inserting [ ] around text in a cell

Maybe you can use a helper column:

="["&a1&"]"
and drag down.

Then you could convert this helper column to values and delete the original (or
paste values over the original and delete the helper column)

--

Dave Peterson

Gary''s Student

inserting [ ] around text in a cell

="[" & A1 & "]"

and copy down
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200832

"Ecappello" wrote:

Hi,
I have a list of first names in Excel 2003 spreadsheet and I need to insert
square brackets around each first name. Is there a function I could use to
help me do this?
Thanks
Emma

Rick Rothstein

inserting [ ] around text in a cell

Another possibility IF you only need to show the square brackets, but they
do NOT really need to be part of the text for use elsewhere in your
worksheet, then you could just Custom Format the cell using this Type
pattern...

"["@"]"

The cells will show names surrounded by the square brackets, but the value
in the cell (if you referenced it elsewhere) would be just the name itself.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)