-   -   Vlookup question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/219559-re-vlookup-question.html)

thedr9wningman

Vlookup question

That's not really how the vlookup works.

Vlookup does a lookup from C193:C198 and looks for the value in C3. The
last parameter needs to be TRUE or FALSE and is a range lookup.

I'm not clear on what you're trying to do, though. It sounds to me like you
need to start learning the index function, though, so if you're trying to go
over one column or one row, you can just add one to the match() function in
your index() function.

Check it out. There are a lot of great index resources on this board!
--
Colourless Green Ideas
transparency | ecology | economy

"Craig" wrote:

Hi,

Instead of creating a huge nested if function I'm trying to use vlookup. I
would like vlookup to look at text in a cell, find its exact match from a
list, then return the text next to it in the list, in another cell.

Here is the formula I have created: =VLOOKUP(C3, C193:E198, E3)

For example, if C3 has the text "one" it returns "red" to E3.

One Red
Two Blue
Three Green
Four Yellow