-   -   How do I use countif like sumif ie (range,criteria,count_range) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/219522-how-do-i-use-countif-like-sumif-ie-range-criteria-count_range.html)

tmarie

How do I use countif like sumif ie (range,criteria,count_range)

I need to count cells with values by reference to a range in the same way
that sumif sums them ie countif(a1:a10,a40,c1:c10)
This doesn't work but I'm hoping there's another way?

cheers
thanks

Rick Rothstein

How do I use countif like sumif ie (range,criteria,count_range)

Your question is not entirely clear, but I think you may be looking for
this...

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10=A40)*(C1:C10<""))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"tmarie" wrote in message
I need to count cells with values by reference to a range in the same way
that sumif sums them ie countif(a1:a10,a40,c1:c10)
This doesn't work but I'm hoping there's another way?

cheers
thanks

T. Valko

How do I use countif like sumif ie (range,criteria,count_range)

Explain *in words* what you want this formula to do:

countif(a1:a10,a40,c1:c10)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tmarie" wrote in message
I need to count cells with values by reference to a range in the same way
that sumif sums them ie countif(a1:a10,a40,c1:c10)
This doesn't work but I'm hoping there's another way?

cheers
thanks

Sheeloo[_3_]

How do I use countif like sumif ie (range,criteria,count_range)

What are you counting in Col C?
There reason there is no third parameter in COUNTIF is that it is not
logically required...

You can count the values in A1:A10 if they are equal to the value in A40.
If you want to count values in C1:C10 which are non blank etc... then you
can use
COUNTA etc...

"tmarie" wrote:

I need to count cells with values by reference to a range in the same way
that sumif sums them ie countif(a1:a10,a40,c1:c10)
This doesn't work but I'm hoping there's another way?

cheers
thanks

Marcelo

How do I use countif like sumif ie (range,criteria,count_range)

Sorry but it does not make any sence for me, coutif(a1:a10,a40) should return
the same result as it:

=sumproduct(--(a1:a10=a40)*(c1:c10<""))

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"tmarie" escreveu:

I need to count cells with values by reference to a range in the same way
that sumif sums them ie countif(a1:a10,a40,c1:c10)
This doesn't work but I'm hoping there's another way?

cheers
thanks

Ashish Mathur[_2_]

How do I use countif like sumif ie (range,criteria,count_range)

Hi,

The syntax of the COUNTIF() is different from that of SUMIF(). The
COUNTIF() function takes 2 inouts - range and criteria only. In the
SUMIF(), you can (optional) supply the sum range as well. Please read up on
COUNTIF() in the Help menu.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com