-   -   Import accounts data from AS400 system, how do I change 10- to (1. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/21951-import-accounts-data-as400-system-how-do-i-change-10-1-a.html)

Wallaby

Import accounts data from AS400 system, how do I change 10- to (1.

The negative value in the AS400 system appears with the negative symbol after
the value, so when imported into excell it does not calculate it as a
negative value. How do I change that?

arno

Hi Wallaby,

A1 = 1234.01-

you need an extra column with this formula
=IF(right(a1,1)="-", left(a1, len(a1)-1)*(-1), a1)

The best would be to make your as400 deliver the "normal" number
format, that you can use without extra formulas. check any export
settings on the as400!

see ya

arno

wrote:
The negative value in the AS400 system appears with the negative
symbol after the value, so when imported into excell it does not
calculate it as a negative value. How do I change that?

Jason Morin

Try a simple replace. Select the data, press Ctrl+H, and:
Find What: -
Replace With: <leave empty

HTH
Jason