-   -   New to VLookUps.... please advise (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/21926-new-vlookups-please-advise.html)

neilcarden

New to VLookUps.... please advise

Hi all, struggling a little... I'm new to the VLookup function and need some help..
I know this might be fairly simple - so if someone could help or recommend a good book or resource, I'd be very grateful.

Please see example:
http://www.neilweb.co.uk/example.xls

Hi, this is what I'd like to do:
I have a predefined template on Sheet 1 which stays in the same order and format.
I import a report into Sheet 2 which has all the above names and more.
However I only need the data from the above names to bring across from Sheet 2 to Sheet 1.

Thanks very much in advance...
Neil

Domenic

Try...

C4, copied down:

=INDEX(Sheet2!$C$3:$C$11,MATCH(Sheet1!B4,Sheet2!$B $3:$B$11,0))

Hope this helps!

In article ,
neilcarden wrote:

Hi all, struggling a little... I'm new to the VLookup function and need
some help..
I know this might be fairly simple - so if someone could help or
recommend a good book or resource, I'd be very grateful.

Please see example:
http://www.neilweb.co.uk/example.xls

Hi, this is what I'd like to do:
I have a predefined template on Sheet 1 which stays in the same order
and format.
I import a report into Sheet 2 which has all the above names and more.
However I only need the data from the above names to bring across from
Sheet 2 to Sheet 1.

Thanks very much in advance...
Neil

Ron Coderre

I suspect a VLOOKUP will do what you want if you:

Put this forumula in Cell C4 and copy it down:
=VLOOKUP(B4,Sheet2!$B$3:$C$11,2,0)

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Ron

Bob Phillips

In C4,

=VLOOKUP(B4,Sheet2!$B$3:$C$11,2,FALSE)

then copy down

--

HTH

RP

"neilcarden" wrote in message

Hi all, struggling a little... I'm new to the VLookup function and need
some help..
I know this might be fairly simple - so if someone could help or
recommend a good book or resource, I'd be very grateful.

Please see example:
http://www.neilweb.co.uk/example.xls

Hi, this is what I'd like to do:
I have a predefined template on Sheet 1 which stays in the same order
and format.
I import a report into Sheet 2 which has all the above names and more.
However I only need the data from the above names to bring across from
Sheet 2 to Sheet 1.

Thanks very much in advance...
Neil

--
neilcarden

neilcarden

Brilliant!!! Thanks guys!!!! Works like a dream...

Neil