-   -   IF Statments in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/218826-if-statments-excel.html)

Valerie

IF Statments in Excel

I am trying to do an if statement and my data column has some fields that are
blank. The statment looks like this, =IF(M7<=J7,"ON TIME","LATE TO NEED TO
NEED"). My problem is when M7 is blank, I get a false true statment. How do
I get the value to return a false statement, instead?

Gary Orr

IF Statments in Excel

Nest your if statement in another if statement that checks to see if a cell
is blank:

=IF(ISBLANK(M7),"NA",IF(M7<=J7,"ON TIME","LATE"))

you could even go as far as:

=IF(or(ISBLANK(M7), ISBLANK(J7)),"NA",IF(M7<=J7,"ON TIME","LATE"))

"Valerie" wrote:

I am trying to do an if statement and my data column has some fields that are
blank. The statment looks like this, =IF(M7<=J7,"ON TIME","LATE TO NEED TO
NEED"). My problem is when M7 is blank, I get a false true statment. How do
I get the value to return a false statement, instead?

T. Valko

IF Statments in Excel

Try this:

=IF(AND(M7<"",M7<=J7),.............

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Valerie" wrote in message
I am trying to do an if statement and my data column has some fields that
are
blank. The statment looks like this, =IF(M7<=J7,"ON TIME","LATE TO NEED
NEED"). My problem is when M7 is blank, I get a false true statment. How
do
I get the value to return a false statement, instead?

Valerie

IF Statments in Excel

Thanks so much!

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(AND(M7<"",M7<=J7),.............

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Valerie" wrote in message
I am trying to do an if statement and my data column has some fields that
are
blank. The statment looks like this, =IF(M7<=J7,"ON TIME","LATE TO NEED
NEED"). My problem is when M7 is blank, I get a false true statment. How
do
I get the value to return a false statement, instead?

Valerie

IF Statments in Excel

That is exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't remember the "ISBLANK"
term. Thanks for the help!

"Valerie" wrote:

I am trying to do an if statement and my data column has some fields that are
blank. The statment looks like this, =IF(M7<=J7,"ON TIME","LATE TO NEED TO
NEED"). My problem is when M7 is blank, I get a false true statment. How do
I get the value to return a false statement, instead?

T. Valko

IF Statments in Excel

You're welcome!

--