-   -   IF Statement JER (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/218454-if-statement-jer.html)

Workbook

IF Statement JER

I am trying to create an IF Statement so that
Objective 1: If I enter H in cell B7, JER will appear in cell J7
Objective 2: J7 will turn yellow when JER appears in it.

Objective 1: This is what I have so far =IF(Sheet1!B7="H",JER,""). However
when I enter a H in cell B7, J7 says #Name?

Objective 2: I know how to set this up with conditional formatting but I am
wondering if its possible to include this in the IF statement first.

What do you think?

T. Valko

IF Statement JER

What is JER? Is that just a string of letters?

If so, you need to quote it:

=IF(Sheet1!B7="H","JER","")

To color the cell you have to use conditional formatting. Use the Formula Is
option and this formula: =J7="JER"

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Workbook" wrote in message
I am trying to create an IF Statement so that
Objective 1: If I enter "H" in cell B7, JER will appear in cell J7
Objective 2: J7 will turn yellow when JER appears in it.

Objective 1: This is what I have so far =IF(Sheet1!B7="H",JER,"").
However
when I enter a "H" in cell B7, J7 says #Name?

Objective 2: I know how to set this up with conditional formatting but I
am
wondering if it's possible to include this in the IF statement first.

What do you think?

Shane Devenshire[_2_]

IF Statement JER

To conditionally format your cell(s):

In 2003:
1. Select the J7
2. Choose Format, Conditional Formatting
3. Choose Formula is from the first drop down
4. In the second box enter the formula:
=B7="h"
5. Click the Format button
6. Choose a color on the Patterns tab (or any available option)
7. Click OK twice.

In 2007:
1. Highlight J7 on the rows you want formatted
2. Choose Home, Conditional Formatting, New Rule
3. Choose Use a formula to determine which cell to format
4. In the Format values where this formula is true enter the following
formula:
=B7="H"
5. Click the Format button and choose a format.
6. Click OK twice

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Workbook" wrote:

I am trying to create an IF Statement so that
Objective 1: If I enter H in cell B7, JER will appear in cell J7
Objective 2: J7 will turn yellow when JER appears in it.

Objective 1: This is what I have so far =IF(Sheet1!B7="H",JER,""). However
when I enter a H in cell B7, J7 says #Name?

Objective 2: I know how to set this up with conditional formatting but I am
wondering if its possible to include this in the IF statement first.

What do you think?

Workbook

IF Statement JER

Hi Biff,

JER is an acroynm. So the quotes is what makes the difference. Excellent.
I figured I was going to have to use conditional formatting. Thank you very
much for your help.

Ed

"Workbook" wrote in message
I am trying to create an IF Statement so that
Objective 1: If I enter "H" in cell B7, JER will appear in cell J7
Objective 2: J7 will turn yellow when JER appears in it.

Objective 1: This is what I have so far =IF(Sheet1!B7="H",JER,"").
However
when I enter a "H" in cell B7, J7 says #Name?

Objective 2: I know how to set this up with conditional formatting but I
am
wondering if it's possible to include this in the IF statement first.

What do you think?

Workbook

IF Statement JER

Hi Shane,

Thank you very much for your input. I will be certain to follow these
steps.

Ed