-   -   Custom Validation starting with 2 char & total less than 8 charact (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/217973-custom-validation-starting-2-char-total-less-than-8-charact.html)

carusso

Custom Validation starting with 2 char & total less than 8 charact

Can a custom data validation formula be written for a cell to only allow a
user to enter a maximum of 8 characters (<=8) AND begin with the letters AD?

Thanks!

--
carusso

David Biddulph[_2_]

Custom Validation starting with 2 char & total less than 8 charact

=AND(LEN(A1)<=8,LEFT(A1,2)="AD")
--
David Biddulph

"carusso" wrote in message
Can a custom data validation formula be written for a cell to only allow a
user to enter a maximum of 8 characters (<=8) AND begin with the letters
AD?

Thanks!

--
carusso

carusso

Custom Validation starting with 2 char & total less than 8 cha

Hi David, thanks for your response.

I am trying to do this with Data/Validation/(Allow)Custom. I entered this
formula in the formula field there, but it is not working. If I try entering
text that is in compliance with the formula, I get the Stop error message.

Cheryl
--
carusso

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=AND(LEN(A1)<=8,LEFT(A1,2)="AD")
--
David Biddulph

"carusso" wrote in message
Can a custom data validation formula be written for a cell to only allow a
user to enter a maximum of 8 characters (<=8) AND begin with the letters
AD?

Thanks!

--
carusso

David Biddulph[_2_]

Custom Validation starting with 2 char & total less than 8 cha

If your cell is not A1, did you remember to change the reference in the
formula?

It works for me.
--
David Biddulph

"carusso" wrote in message
Hi David, thanks for your response.

I am trying to do this with Data/Validation/(Allow)Custom. I entered this
formula in the formula field there, but it is not working. If I try
entering
text that is in compliance with the formula, I get the Stop error message.

Cheryl
--
carusso

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=AND(LEN(A1)<=8,LEFT(A1,2)="AD")
--
David Biddulph

"carusso" wrote in message
Can a custom data validation formula be written for a cell to only
allow a
user to enter a maximum of 8 characters (<=8) AND begin with the
letters
AD?

Thanks!

--
carusso

carusso

Custom Validation starting with 2 char & total less than 8 cha

oooops.... ;-)

Works great now....thanks!

--
carusso

"carusso" wrote in message
Hi David, thanks for your response.

I am trying to do this with Data/Validation/(Allow)Custom. I entered this
formula in the formula field there, but it is not working. If I try
entering
text that is in compliance with the formula, I get the Stop error message.

Cheryl
--
carusso

"David Biddulph" wrote: