-   -   how to count unique values in excel based on criteria (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/21772-how-count-unique-values-excel-based-criteria.html)

Jorge

how to count unique values in excel based on criteria

Hi

I need to count the number of unique text values stored in column A based on
the contents of column B. Column B contains groups of values of different
sizes (# rows) for each group I need to count the number of unique
corresponding values stored in column A. These are all text based.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks,
Jorge

Gary Brown

I think the CountIf function is what you're looking for.
HTH,
Gary Brown

"Jorge" wrote:

Hi

I need to count the number of unique text values stored in column A based on
the contents of column B. Column B contains groups of values of different
sizes (# rows) for each group I need to count the number of unique
corresponding values stored in column A. These are all text based.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks,
Jorge

Domenic

With a list of unique names from Column B in another column, let's say
Column C...

D1, copied down:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(($A$1:$A$100<"")*($B$1:$B$10 0=C1),MATCH($A$1:$A$100
,$A$1:$A$100,0)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS($A$1:$A$10 0))))0,1,0))

....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER.

Is this what you're looking for?

Hope this helps!