-   -   Count function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/217640-count-function.html)

John Peterson[_2_]

Count function

Okay, continuing to work this count function problem and have hit a brick
wall with it. What I am trying to do is count the number of occurrences each
month when a new procedure was created. Below I created a quick example.
Column A would have the date, and column B would then have an 'x' in it if a
new procedure was created. Need to create a count calculation to return the
number of new procedures each month. Not sure how to accomplish that.

A B
1/1/09 X
1/5/09
1/10/09 X
2/1/09 X
3/5/09

Mike H

Count function

Hi,

Put this in a cell and drag down 11 rows to get the sum for each month

=SUMPRODUCT((MONTH($A$1:$A$20)=ROW(A1))*($B$1:$B$2 0="x"))

Mike

"John Peterson" wrote:

Okay, continuing to work this count function problem and have hit a brick
wall with it. What I am trying to do is count the number of occurrences each
month when a new procedure was created. Below I created a quick example.
Column A would have the date, and column B would then have an 'x' in it if a
new procedure was created. Need to create a count calculation to return the
number of new procedures each month. Not sure how to accomplish that.

A B
1/1/09 X
1/5/09
1/10/09 X
2/1/09 X
3/5/09

Steve

Count function

Try
=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH($A$1:$A$5)=1)*($B$1:$B$5="X"))
will give you Jan
=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH($A$1:$A$5)=2)*($B$1:$B$5="X"))
will give you Feb

etc