-   -   Advanced Filter - Exclude two criteria in separate columns (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/217390-advanced-filter-exclude-two-criteria-separate-columns.html)

Mark

Advanced Filter - Exclude two criteria in separate columns

Hello,

I'm familiar with Advanced Filter, however I'm having difficulty applying a
filter where I want to exclude any row that contains the value 100 in column
C, AND contains the word "roll" in column E.

The criteria I'm using are currently;
Line item seq Description
<100 <*roll*

However, using this criteria, excel is removing any row that contains 100 in
column C, OR the word "roll" in Column E.

I'm sure there's a way to set this up properly, but I'm puzzled.
Thanks,
Mark

Lori Miller

Advanced Filter - Exclude two criteria in separate columns

Maybe try putting the criteria on separate lines:

Line item seq Description
<100
<*roll*

"Mark" wrote:

Hello,

I'm familiar with Advanced Filter, however I'm having difficulty applying a
filter where I want to exclude any row that contains the value 100 in column
C, AND contains the word "roll" in column E.

The criteria I'm using are currently;
Line item seq Description
<100 <*roll*

However, using this criteria, excel is removing any row that contains 100 in
column C, OR the word "roll" in Column E.

I'm sure there's a way to set this up properly, but I'm puzzled.
Thanks,
Mark

bapeltzer

Advanced Filter - Exclude two criteria in separate columns

ALL the criteria on a given row must be met. So only rows where C<100 AND
E<*roll* are surviving the filter. Your text suggests that you want to see
any row where C<100 OR E<*roll*. So you need to split these two criteria
onto separate rows in the filter criteria (be sure to change the address
range in the filter to include the additional row):
Line item seq Description
<100
<*roll*

If C=100 and E contains roll, then NEITHER criteria will be met and such
rows will be supressed by the filter.