-   -   Formatting Text in cells that already have text entered (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/216396-formatting-text-cells-already-have-text-entered.html)

Jennifer V.

Formatting Text in cells that already have text entered

I have approx several thousand cells all with the same info, let's say SSNs.
They are in the cell as 123456789. I need to format all cells in this column
with the format 123-45-6789. Obviously, I'm not using SSNs, but I'm using
characters that I need formatted into abcde-12345-fg. Is there a way to
custom format these so that it applies to all of these cells instead of me
altering each one by hand???

Thanks,

Jennifer

Glenn

Jennifer V. wrote:
I have approx several thousand cells all with the same info, let's say SSNs.
They are in the cell as 123456789. I need to format all cells in this column
with the format 123-45-6789. Obviously, I'm not using SSNs, but I'm using
characters that I need formatted into abcde-12345-fg. Is there a way to
custom format these so that it applies to all of these cells instead of me
altering each one by hand???

Thanks,

Jennifer

Could you just list a couple examples of how your real data is currently entered
and then show how you want it formatted?

Jennifer V.

Formatting Text in cells that already have text entered

aa1234
bb1234
cc4321
dd0987
mj5830

It needs to have a space or a symbol between the 2 letters and the 4 numbers.

Thanks!

"Glenn" wrote:

Jennifer V. wrote:
I have approx several thousand cells all with the same info, let's say SSNs.
They are in the cell as 123456789. I need to format all cells in this column
with the format 123-45-6789. Obviously, I'm not using SSNs, but I'm using
characters that I need formatted into abcde-12345-fg. Is there a way to
custom format these so that it applies to all of these cells instead of me
altering each one by hand???

Thanks,

Jennifer

Could you just list a couple examples of how your real data is currently entered
and then show how you want it formatted?

JBeaucaire[_85_]

Formatting Text in cells that already have text entered

In an adjacent cell, put this formula:

=LEFT(A2,2)&"-"&RIGHT(A2,4)

This assumes their all the same 6-digit length.
--
"Actually, I AM a rocket scientist." -- JB

Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.

"Jennifer V." wrote:

aa1234
bb1234
cc4321
dd0987
mj5830

It needs to have a space or a symbol between the 2 letters and the 4 numbers.

Thanks!

JBeaucaire[_85_]

Formatting Text in cells that already have text entered

One last thing, after copying that formula down to create an entire row,
highlight the whole range, COPY, EDITPasteSpecialValues.

Now you can delete the original data and use the new codes.