-   -   File names (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/216032-file-names.html)

Augied

File names

All of a sudden all of my Excel 2007 files have a ~ followed by several
numbers after the ~. What happened or what change did I make to cause this?

--
Just learning

Bernard Liengme

File names

Close Excel and look again.
File name beginning with the tilde (~) are normally temporary files
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Augied" wrote in message
All of a sudden all of my Excel 2007 files have a ~ followed by several
numbers after the ~. What happened or what change did I make to cause
this?

--
Just learning

Augied

File names

-- I would agree with you that the ~ typically indicates temporary files but
files that I have not opened recently also have the append info and they do
not close after being used. In fact the list of files with the append is
growing . Something else is going on that I don't have a clue. Thanks anyway.

Just learning

"Augied" wrote in message
All of a sudden all of my Excel 2007 files have a ~ followed by several
numbers after the ~. What happened or what change did I make to cause
this?

--
Just learning

I guess after looking at my description of the problem I did not make it clear that the ~ plus Alphanumeric characters are appended to the end of the file name, after xlss file type.

I also have the problem that I did not address in that when I go to open the
files that are named normally I get the message that the file type does not
match the file, do you want to open it anyway? I do open the files and they
are normal as best as I can tell. Any other ideas on these two abnomalies
that just started recently after I have been using the 2007 excel for several
months.