Old January 8th 09, 08:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula to pull first word from text string in a column

It makes sure the FIND function has something to find, hence no error
checking is needed. Also, as an aside, the LEFT function will return the
correct value even if you specify a length larger than the length of the
string you are applying the LEFT function to... so, when there no space in
A1, this FIND function will return a value one greater than the length of
the text in A1 and the LEFT function will just return the entire text
string.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"CrisT" wrote in message
May I ask, what does the '&" "' do? Thanks for your help too!

"T. Valko" wrote:

You may want to add some error handling

Another way:

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1&" ")-1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
=LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1)

You may want to add some error handling if there isn't always more than
one word.
=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(" ",A2)-1),LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1),A2)
--
David Biddulph

"CrisT" wrote in message
news Hello, I was hoping someone could help me with a formula. I have a
column in
a spreadsheet that has the following types of text (for example):

Subaru WRX
Subaru STI
Jeep Wrangler
Jeep Grand Cherokee

What I am looking for is a formula to pull the first word from the
column
and put it in another column, say column T.

Thank you in advance!

Old January 8th 09, 08:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have to makeup for my "brain cramps" that I suffered yesterday!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Pete_UK" wrote in message
Hey, that's neat Biff !!

Pete

Old January 8th 09, 08:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That prevents an error from being returned if the string doesn't contain a
space character. That may not apply in your situation but I thought I'd
suggest it for anyone that might be interested.

A1 = Jeep

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

That formula will return an error because FIND can't find a space character
in the string. To prevent the error we append a space character: A1&" "

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1&" ")-1)

A1 = Chevy Camaro

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1&" ")-1)

That string does contain a space character and the space character that gets
appended is basically ignored because FIND will find the *first* space
character in the string.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Old January 17th 20, 12:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Friday, 17 January 2020 03:50:19 UTC, wrote:
This is great! I've been looking for this... Now, is there a way to extract the last word in a string ONLY if it is not the only word in the string. If it is then i want it to be found in the formula you wrote above. I'm basically trying to extract three names but not always is there a second or even a third name, for example, Cher. I have it all working but the last name will duplicate the first if it is a one word name.

Hi
I would use a helper column.
With your data in column A, starting in A2, enter in B2
=LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",""))
This will tell you how many spaces you have in column A
Then, in C2 enter
=LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2&" ")-1) and copy down to give you all first names
In D2 enter
=IF(B2=2,MID(A2,FIND(CHAR(160),SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",CHAR(160),1))+1,FIND(CHAR(160),SUBSTITUTE(A2 ," ",CHAR(160),1))-1),"")
and copy down which will extract the middle name, if there is one.
Finally in E2 enter
=IF(B20,MID(A2,FIND(CHAR(160),SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",CHAR(160),B2))+1,256),"")
and copy down, which will find the last name, if there is one.

Hope this helps.

Old January 24th 20, 11:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello,

The =split( cell, "character") function would do this. You'll just have to make sure that you have enough columns to the right to accommodate this split.

For your example, you would need 3 blank columns to the right available.

Assuming cells are listed from A1:A4, to get the type of car, you'll need to split using a space character (" ") using the formula below.

=split(A1, " ")
This will result in
A1 = Suburu WRX in B1 = split(A1,"") and showing in B1 = Suburu C1=WRX

=split(A4, " ")
This will result in
A4 = Jeep Grand Cherokee in B1 = split(A4,"") and showing in B4 = Jeep C4=Grand D4 = Cherokee

I hope this helps!